Khamis, 30 Ogos 2012

The Malaysian Insider :: Food


Klik GAMBAR Dibawah Untuk Lebih Info
Sumber Asal Berita :-

The Malaysian Insider :: Food


Bahn Mi: No ordinary sandwich

Posted: 30 Aug 2012 07:27 PM PDT

Vietnamese chopped pork sandwich Bahn Mi.

KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 31 — It wasn't really love at first sight... more of love at first bite. Hurrying down the crowded street of Chinatown in Perth, I was desperate to find something quick that would pacify the rumbles of my empty tummy.

I spotted people emerging with sandwiches of some sort from a Vietnamese stall, and I proceeded to order "one of those". One bite was all it took to stop me dead in my tracks.

Banh Mi, as I found out later, is a mouth-watering Vietnamese-meets-French sandwich, a product of the influence of the French colonisation of Vietnam.

It consists of julienned pickled carrots and radish, flavourful minced pork, chillies, Dijon mustard and fried egg, garnished with a few sprigs of fresh coriander and slices of chilly, all of these sandwiched between a light, airy Vietnamese baguette which has been halved, hollowed and slathered generously with thick, mayonnaise.

This light Vietnamese baguette is slightly crisp and crusty on the outside and delicately soft on the inside. The pickled carrots and radish gives the sandwich a gratifying crunch and an exotic taste, whereas the mayonnaise gives it a richness that settles deep within your taste buds.

The coriander provides a refreshing herby flavour that beautifully complements the other ingredients, and it succeeds in enhancing the meaty flavour of the minced pork. According to the older folks who lived way back when the French were still in Vietnam, only the rich French who were missing the taste of home could afford this sandwich originally stuffed with pate and other imported ingredients.

Once the French left, the Vietnamese went on to give it a cheaper and more appetizing makeover, introducing pickled vegetables and infusing them with authentic Vietnamese flavours such as fish sauce. The result? Paradise at first bite!

This sandwich is not only simple to prepare, it is also a delight to your tummy. The numerous fillings makes it a perfect replacement for a hearty meal, guaranteed to make you sigh with pleasure. Bahn Mi, anyone?

Bahn Mi

Prep time: 10 minutes + 1 hour (for pickling shredded vegetables)
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Serves 4

1 large baguette, slightly toasted and almost sliced into halves
500g pork belly, roughly chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon palm sugar
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
A dash of black pepper
1 chilli, seeds removed and thinly sliced
2 eggs, fried
Dijon mustard, to be spread on the baguette
Handful of coriander/cilantro, roughly torn apart
For pickled carrots and daikon,
1 carrot, coarsely grated
1/4 daikon, coarsely grated
1/4 cup vinegar
3 tablespoons sugar  
 
1. For the pickled carrots and daikon, mix carrots, daikon, vinegar and sugar in a clean bowl. Marinade mixture for about an hour. Strain carrots and daikon, and set it aside.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan over high heat.
3. Add garlic and saute until fragrant.
4. Add minced pork, dark soy sauce, palm sugar, fish sauce and pepper in a pan and fry until pork soaks up the sauce.
5. To assemble, spread Dijon mustard on baguette. Layer with half a fried egg, followed by chopped pork, pickled carrots and daikon, chillies and lastly coriander.
6. Repeat for 2nd, 3rd and 4th Banh Mi.
7. Eat with your hands.

For more recipes, go to www.chopstickdiner.com


Dip into chocolatey goodness

Posted: 30 Aug 2012 07:13 PM PDT

dip 'n dip originates from Syria and it offers a wide selection of chocolate drinks and desserts. – Pictures by Lydia Koh

KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 31 — Chocolate, coffee and good conversation — nothing beats this kick-ass combination when it comes to destressing.

So if you are a chocoholic, you should check out the newly-opened dip 'n dip cafe in Bangsar. Located on Jalan Telawi 3, right next to Cziplee Books & Stationery, is this warm, inviting chocolate dessert place that originates from Syria.

You will notice that the chocolatiers are mostly Middle Eastern and they are a friendly bunch. It was the soft launch of dip 'n dip that day when my friends and I dropped in around 9pm. Earlier that day, the waitress told me to come by because they were offering free treats with every order. Each treat was a surprise, she said.

What an irresistible idea! Immediately, I made plans to head over to dip 'n dip after dinner. I thought a chocolate affair would be a good way to end the night. Little did I know that it was going to be a chocolate indulgence I'll never forget.

What's your flavour?

Unsure of what to order, we asked the waitress to recommend. The Fettuccine Crepe caught our attention, looking at the photo in the menu, it looked like pasta drizzled with milk chocolate and white chocolate sauce topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. We ordered the "small" portion but when it arrived minutes later, it was as large as a pizza for four people!

Fettuccine Crepe is a delightfully sinful treat.

After Eight Hot Chocolate is a must-have for chocolate mint lovers.

The crepe was cut into fettuccine-like shapes so it looked like you're having pasta. Once the dish is served, a chocolatier will come with either milk chocolate, dark chocolate or white chocolate and drizzle the oozey, gooey chocolate onto the "pasta" — his hands high up in the air and the chocolate flowing down like a stream.

We dig in, enjoying the taste and texture of this unusual dessert. I tend to overindulge so up next was the After Eight Hot Chocolate. The others ordered Earl Grey tea and White Belgian Hot Chocolate, safe choices if you are going to have chocolate anyway. I loved the mint flavour of my After Eight Hot Chocolate and although it was chocolate overdose, I loved every bit of it because I'm a fan of Max Brenner's, a chocolate chain from Australia. dip 'n dip reminds me of Max Brenner because everything on the menu has chocolate in it and it was equally good.

While chatting and eating, the chocolatier came with our first surprise, a Waffle Stick dipped in milk chocolate. It was really yummy but after awhile, we found it to be rather sweet.

Delectable and luxurious, you must not miss out on the Chocolate Mousse!

My friend asked me to try a bit of the White Belgian Hot Chocolate. All I tasted was milk but it was alright. I thought it would have more of a white chocolate flavour but it was really milky.

Just when we thought we had filled our chocolate quota for the day, another surprise came in the form of the Chocolate Mousse. I think I would definitely come back here for more of this rich and creamy dessert next time. If you asked me which were my favourites, I would say the Fettuccine Crepe and the Chocolate Mousse.

"I think I ate enough chocolate to last me a year," said my friend, patting her belly.

"I'm going to go home to do sit-ups. Imagine how many calories we've consumed in this single seating!" another one said.

I just smiled, knowing that I will definitely come back even if I did exceed my chocolate quota (and calories) for the year.


Kredit: http://www.themalaysianinsider.com

0 ulasan:

Catat Ulasan

 

Malaysia Insider Online

Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved