Khamis, 18 Oktober 2012

The Malaysian Insider :: Books


Klik GAMBAR Dibawah Untuk Lebih Info
Sumber Asal Berita :-

The Malaysian Insider :: Books


Book Talk: Ghosts, grief and great love in China

Posted: 18 Oct 2012 08:04 AM PDT

The Forbidden City of Imperial China is seen after a snowfall in Beijing in this file photo. The lyrical 'My Last Empress' is a novel by Da Chen, who grew up in a small Chinese village and graduated from Columbia Law School before turning to writing. – Reuters pic

TOKYO, Oct 18 – After Samuel Pickens loses the love of his life, he travels the world to forget her – only to find her mirror image in the court of Imperial China, where he falls in love with one of the Emperor's wives.

The lyrical "My Last Empress" is a novel by Da Chen, who grew up in a small Chinese village and graduated from Columbia Law School before turning to writing with the acclaimed memoir "Colors of the Mountain."

Da, who has described writing the memoir as "swimming in the depth of the river that is my life," spoke about writing and his latest book.

Q: How did this book get started?

A: "I was speaking at Yale once and... there was a portrait of a man, looking very somber. The caption read: 'Mr Pitken, the first Yale graduate beheaded by Boxer rebels.'... I was stunned by his heroism ... What drove this man to do what he did, what drove him to be so dedicated? I don't know very much about the business of the church, so I created this love story for Mr Pickens. I wanted to explore the possibility of devotion and how (far) humans can go in a measure of love, and in a measurement of enduring pain as a measure of love."

Q: How did you go from there to the character?

A: "The most important thing that any idea of a book can give you is providing a sort of mood. I refused to do any research on this man because I already had enough just from standing in front of him. I felt that he was still in pain, and pain follows me. I was driven home and kept thinking about this man. I'm talking to you about him now and I have chills down my back just feeling that sensation, when you are in the presence of something eerie, something just so extraordinary... Because all he feels towards his lovers or the shadows of them were all heightened by a very noble spirit. That emotion came literally from the first sentence, when I said: I am old, rotten, within my cavity grows a spring bloom. I came home with that line in my head. From there, for the first time, I began to write a book that grows from inside out.

"I used to write stories that I knew very well, I just had to give them shape and give them some literary flourishes. But in this case I really, really had to go down to his steps and then grow this book from inside out. It became a very emotional journey. I could not plot this book. I literally wrote this book one word at a time, that's why it took so long. I wanted the process of reading this book to be pleasurable because the journey was so painful."

Q: Was it hard to yield to this process?

A: "I had the most fun, a very gripping experience with it that was also very eerie. I was going through my mid-40s into my late-40s in this book. You really have to age in some ways to be able to show certain maturity, depth or gloom in a work. I really sensed that. My writing used to be much more rambunctious, like a joyful, happy puppy just running into golden fields. It's not that anymore. It's more thinking, and musing over the meaning of words."

Q: In general, do you emphasize plot, character or setting?

A: "I think setting defines any book. The setting is so many things. There's a mood in 'My Last Empress' that I couldn't lift myself out of. It's almost like a fog, always permeating my entire existence when I was writing the book.

"But more important is a bigger issue that infuses the entire piece. People always call me an atmospheric writer, and I don't know what the heck that is. Now I begin to understand. I cannot really write a book like 'Lucky Jim,' for instance, an anti-hero hero... Your book is only as good as your antagonist ... but the main thing of course is the character. This person has to be someone I hugely, hugely admire. I think that has to do with the fact that I grew up in a culture where literature is centred on celebrating heroism and noble things, and all that. I can't write somebody who is a loser. But if he is a loser for a noble cause, then I can write about it."

Q: Advice for aspiring writers?

A: "The most important thing that aspiring writers fail to realise and are afraid to see is that your story, the way you cut the story, is your contribution to this world. You need to tell the story your own way, and you need to tell your own story. Imitating is wonderful, but insist on being yourself on the page. That's what's going to set you free." – Reuters


Thayil misses out on Man Booker but makes South Asia longlist

Posted: 18 Oct 2012 02:06 AM PDT

'Narcopolis' by Jeet Thayil was a Booker finalist and is longlisted for the DSC Prize for South Asian Literature. – All rights reserved/Faber & Faber

LOS ANGELES, Oct 18 – Man Booker finalist Jeet Thayil, author of Narcopolis, is one of sixteen authors on the longlist for the 2013 DSC Prize for South Asian Literature, alongside two debut novels, several from Oxbridge and Harvard alumni, and one from a cricketing expert.

The Prize for South Asian Literature may only be two years old – three by the time the 2013 winner is revealed – but that winner is announced as part of January's Jaipur Literature Festival, a major book event for Asia.

While many will know Narcopolis as a result of international critical success, each longlisted entry is notable in its own right: The Wandering Falcon and The Song Seekers hold a shared status as debut novels, while The Sly Company of People Who Care actually comes from the mind of an established cricketing journalist, and many of the elected authors have associations with leading universities in the UK, the US and Asia.

Themes of family, marriage, religion, travel, love and loss populate many of the novels, and several explore the juncture between traditional and modern mores, while nearly half of the selected authors are female.

Books eligible for the prize must concern themselves with the region of South Asia and must be available to read in English either as an original or via published translation. The eventual winner will be awarded US$50,000 in recognition of their achievement.

DSC Prize for South Asian Literature 2013 Longlist

Jamil Ahmad: The Wandering Falcon

Alice Albinia: Leela's Book

Tahmima Anam: The Good Muslim

Rahul Bhattacharya: The Sly Company of People Who Care

Roopa Farooki: The Flying Man

Musharraf Ali Farooqi: Between Clay and Dust

Amitav Ghosh: River of Smoke

Niven Govinden: Black Bread White Beer

Sunetra Gupta: So Good in Black

Mohammed Hanif: Our Lady of Alice Bhatti

Jerry Pinto: Em and the Big Hoom

Uday Prakash: The Walls of Delhi (Trans. Jason Grunebaum)

Anuradha Roy: The Folded Earth

Saswati Sengupta: The Song Seekers

Geetanjali Shree: The Empty Space (Trans. Nivedita Menon)

Jeet Thayil: Narcopolis

Read a synopsis of each book and its author at dscprize.com/global/updates/dsc-prize-longlist-for-2013/ – AFP/Relaxnews


Kredit: http://www.themalaysianinsider.com

0 ulasan:

Catat Ulasan

 

Malaysia Insider Online

Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved