Khamis, 17 November 2011

The Malaysian Insider :: Opinion


Klik GAMBAR Dibawah Untuk Lebih Info
Sumber Asal Berita :-

The Malaysian Insider :: Opinion


Why English, ah?

Posted: 16 Nov 2011 04:38 PM PST

NOV 17 — Many years ago when Rick Astley was the heartthrob of many, and hairsprayed bangs were de rigeur, I was in the top science class in secondary school. Unlike my brilliant peers, however, I was not a top science student. 

I struggled for two years in Form 4 and Form 5 in abject misery, trying to figure out the mystery of science and maths. I loved the subjects, particularly biology, but my interest and love for them did not translate into high scores. 

I thus arrived at the most logical conclusion — that I was stupid. Smart enough to do well to get into science stream, but not smart enough to keep up. My teachers, angry and frustrated that I was dragging down the scores, certainly did not discourage me from this conclusion. I dreaded going to school every day to see the scorn in their eyes. 

I fell into depression, and cried every day after school. My father, always supportive, wanted to help but was not sure what was going on. I think he thought that I was possibly taking drugs because every time I entered the room, he had a book in front of his face, with the title, "What To Do When Your Child Is Taking Drugs."

By the grace of God, or possibly dumb luck, I managed to pass SPM but not very well. 

I was fortunate that despite my middling scores, I was able to study abroad. 

My father, always supportive, suggested that I study something "easier", "like business or law." 

But I had my heart set on studying science. 

Much to my surprise, I did so much better in university overseas. Suddenly, I was getting As and Bs. The mystery of science wasn't so mysterious after all. I eventually graduated with a degree in biological sciences, and pursued a wonderful career in field biology for 10 years.

I wrote to my best friend about my academic transformation with much surprise and happiness. She wrote back, simply saying, "I knew you were never stupid. It was just that you never understood the subjects taught in BM." 

I've been following the PPSMI debate with much interest because I certainly would have benefited if science and maths had been taught in English, rather than Bahasa Malaysia. 

Perhaps logically, one would assume I would support PPSMI as it would have benefited students like me whose command of English is better than Bahasa Malaysia. 

However, I don't necessarily.

I recognise that I am part of a small yet vocal segment of Malaysian society where English is the language of dominance. For some, especially in mixed-race families, it is our mother tongue, to the detriment of our own native languages. My generation, in particular, grew up with the expectation to speak and write in English well because in our parents' time, it represented future prosperity. 

But times have changed. 

These days, it is not enough to have a good command of English but to have a strong command of Bahasa Malaysia as well. Just look at all the job ads whether in national or transnational industries: "Must speak and write well in English and Bahasa Malaysia." 

We shake our heads at Malaysians who don't speak English well, but how many of us can truthfully say, "I am bilingual, and can write well in English AND Bahasa Malaysia?"

There have been some calls that the reason why Malaysians don't speak Bahasa Malaysia well stems from our frustration with racial politics. It's our sneaky way of fighting back Malay imperialism, you see, even though it disenfranchises us even further.

I'm familiar with this argument because it has been the excuse I have used for years. 

However, after working with rural communities of all races, I have realised that Bahasa Malaysia is what unites us all, especially from different economic segments of society. 

The Ibans of Sarawak and Orang Asli of Peninsular Malaysia may have their own beef with Umno but they are certainly more comfortable when we communicate in Bahasa Malaysia, rather than English. 

Now, I'm not one to say yea or nay to PPSMI but I would like those debating on the matter to consider students in the middle of the fray.

I know what it is like to go through school studying in a language I don't understand, and feeling incredibly stupid. I know what it is like to have teachers more interested in investing in academically brilliant students than students struggling to keep up. 

What I don't like to see are students being used as pawns for political gain. For whatever education policy we eventually decide upon, can we do so for the interests of students and not politicians? As well, as a top academician has said, to have the political courage and fortitude to see the education policy through? 

If I could impart advice for students, I would say, yes English is important but Bahasa Malaysia more so because we are Malaysians. Embrace the language wholeheartedly for it would open up the rest of Malaysia to you.   

Myself, these days, I'm reading more Pak Sako and Samad Said, and a little less of Roald Dahl and Margaret Atwood. 

For I have a lot of catching up to do.

* The views expressed here are the personal opinion of the columnist.

Full content generated by Get Full RSS.

Busy, busy… busybodies

Posted: 16 Nov 2011 04:14 PM PST

NOV 17 — We, as a nation, are obsessed with our fellow countrymen. 

We wanted to ban the poco-poco and yoga, tell Elton John and other homosexuals to stay away from this country and if possible move those who look and think differently to a remote, uninhabited island.

While most Malaysians will be against the Americans (or any Western power) policing the world, saying how an independent country should be left alone, it is double standards when Malaysians act as the moral police in this country. 

This is, in not so many words, sheer hypocrisy.

If you ask me, every Malaysian should police their family members first before judging anyone else. All they have to do is ensure their children get a good education, speak good English, take up a third language, work hard, not become Rempits and lastly not cook up a grandiose resume for a TV cooking show. 

They should ensure their sons, daughters, grandchildren become responsible, productive and tolerant Malaysian citizens.

Unlike what some may want you to believe, Elton John and homosexuals/transgenders are not a threat to our country. We watch shows like "Glee" or "Will & Grace" which have gay characters.

Even the local TV stations are reporting explicit news about sodomy and video clips of a politician's alleged sexual escapade in Thailand. Our MPs have even requested to view those "shows" in Parliament.

So what is the big deal? You mean to say we can watch it on TV but cannot attend "live" shows by performers who happen to be gay?

Get real.

We have an oversupply of drug mules and addicts, millions of illegal foreign workers, untrained Rela officers, rampant corruption among government officials, unemployable graduates, losses by GLCs. 

Aren't these a bigger threat to Malaysia? 

These problems if left unchecked will bring the nation down to its knees faster than any gay threat

Don't you think our time will be better spent building schools, hospitals, better quality roads, putting up good and proper signages, teaching our students English, trimming the bloated, inefficient civil service, and "shooing" out the illegal immigrants?

Speaking of illegal immigrants, there are allegations that citizenships are dished out for promised votes to our hardworking foreign workers.

If it is true, this is then the biggest threat to the country, putting our future and children's future at risk.

Like most cynical Malaysians I don't know how much of that holds water, but then again like all serious accusations it needs to be looked into by the government. It is better to be safe than sorry later. 

It was apparently raised by an officer within the Bangladesh prime minister's department last September and was put up on its website. This was later removed. 

I know that the government has denied this, but I think Malaysians are way past believing everything they hear no?

Come on Mr Home Minister, we are not as gullible as your fellow MPs.

Datuk Ambiga Sreenevasan wants the setting up of a royal commission for this purpose but I, to a certain extent, disagree.

Yes, we need to get to the bottom of this but I don't think we should jump straight to the forming of a royal commission. We already had one this year and nothing was done with its findings. It takes time to form one and even then there may be elements of bias to it. 

I think an independent panel from political parties and NGOs should suffice for the moment to determine the validity of the accusation first. Should they find substantial evidence to support the claim then all we need is the next general election, no? Make fliers and start dropping them over the kampong areas, and ensure that the rural folks know what is going on in the country.

Those selling the country in exchange for votes should be given the same treatment as drug traffickers. Or maybe we can enact hudud just for this group of traitors?

This is not the 1960s anymore. We have so many political parties clamouring for a piece of power that the government has to watch its toes. Amanah and Kita were the latest to join the other side and, from the looks of it, are more than ready to hang their foes out to dry.

Malaysians going out to vote at the next GE do not want surprises at the polling stations i.e. seeing "Malaysians" casting their votes. A sudden increase in Bangladeshis, Pakistanis or Indonesians at the polling station may just cause another political tsunami.

Let's all become busybodies, people. Against those who sell this country and trample on our civil rights in the guise as our saviours.

* The views expressed here are the personal opinion of the columnist.

Full content generated by Get Full RSS.
Kredit: http://www.themalaysianinsider.com

0 ulasan:

Catat Ulasan

 

Malaysia Insider Online

Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved