Jumaat, 14 Disember 2012

The Malaysian Insider :: Opinion


Klik GAMBAR Dibawah Untuk Lebih Info
Sumber Asal Berita :-

The Malaysian Insider :: Opinion


I’m older than I look, really!

Posted: 13 Dec 2012 03:45 PM PST

DEC 14 — I'm lucky to have youthful looks that do not reflect my actual age. I dare say this because many people have guessed my age as being a decade younger than my actual 34 years.

But sometimes, I think people think that I'm younger than my age because of my demeanour and my child-like, hyperactive personality.

Heck, I've even had my university students diagnose me as having Peter Pan Syndrome! Talk about respecting your elders.

I always felt it was cool to be youngish and that my daughter would be known among her friends as the one with the cool and hip dad.

But recently, I have been feeling like I've been ageing. And its no thanks to the fact that I have slowly realised that my musical preference has slowly become obsolete.

Music has been a passion for me ever since I can remember. I would seek out the latest and the most different kinds to listen to.

One of the first few albums I had were Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA" and the "La Bamba" soundtrack (which were the latest hot cassettes at that time).

My musical taste started to develop as the years progressed. I started trying to listen to music that other people didn't listen to and bought bootleg cassettes.

This went on for years. I realised today the bands I listen to now have been the same ones I've been listening to the past 15 years.

I tried to listen to some newer contemporary bands and all the sounds that I heard just irritated me and made me whine and complain about how lousy music is today.

I also started to realise that I was starting to go backwards in my quest for new music. Ironically, to find new music, I searched for old music.

The Steve Miller Band, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Chuck Berry and Cat Stevens started featuring on my iPhone as the most played.

This realisation has hit me like the Roadrunner's barbell hitting the head of Wile E. Coyote (the top rated cartoon on TV when I was in school).

I used to play basketball every day and didn't feel any acid buildup. Now, my regular Friday night basketball session takes me until the next Friday to recover physically.

My BMX bike hasn't been ridden in a year even though it sits behind my editing desk in my man room and I keep pumping the tyres to maintain the right air pressure.

And to think about it, by the time little Athena reaches her teens, I would be 50 and probably need a walking stick and constant supply of batteries for my pacemaker.

I wouldn't be the cool dad anymore. Instead, I would be the old grouch who has nothing to do during retirement but act as a driver for his teenage daughter.

And this entire breakdown came about because I hate One Direction, feel like killing Adam Levine, and feel like killing myself when I hear dubstep.

And to make things worse, I have tickets to Weezer's (a band I started listening to in 1995) Memories Tour this coming January in Jakarta. I repeat — MEMORIES TOUR!

* The views expressed here are the personal opinion of the columnist.

We know best. You shut up

Posted: 13 Dec 2012 03:38 PM PST

We know best. You shut up

DEC 14 — Obviously someone in the National Sports Council didn't get the transparency and public accountability memo. Or maybe didn't attend the kursus on this issue.

A new low was reached last week when National Sports Council (NSC) director-general Datuk Seri Zolkples Embong declared that the detailed accounts for the expenditure incurred during the preparation and participation in the 2012 London Olympics would not be accessible to the public. He also deemed such access as unnecessary and that there was no obligation for the NSC to do so.

If we needed an example of how far bureaucratic arrogance can go and how quite a few of our senior civil servants consider themselves no longer answerable or accountable (if ever) to the Malaysian public, this is certainly a good one.

The declaration last August by Youth and Sports Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Shabery Cheek that there would be full disclosure of the records of the RM20 million spent on Olympic preparations was greeted with much interest, support and I daresay optimism that perhaps, this time, it would be different. That such expenditure seen under the light of day would help the public understand and appreciate why these investments are necessary. I was one of those who had this line of thought.

What I didn't count on, and probably neither did the minister, was for the D-G of the NSC to decide that we, you and I and the media, are not entitled to see the accounts.

You have got to wonder how is it that a civil servant is able to overrule a promise made publicly by a Cabinet minister who acted in the interest of improving transparency and accountability. This is not defence spending where you can claim that public disclosure has implications towards national security.

It is a pity that the D-G saw it fit to act this way. Public disclosure in such instances is not only about trying to find corruption and misuse of funds (for example, were there family members of officials or unrelated officials travelling to London on a so-called reward holiday on the public dime?). It is also a great way for the public to understand how funding and investments are necessary to improve the level and quality of sports in Malaysia.

It will help answer questions such as whether a particular sport needs more attention and better funding and support in order for us to achieve the high level of quality and excellence expected in the Olympics. Did we fail to win medals in competition because we didn't provide sufficient allocation and training support? Better public understanding can make the case and improve support and arguments for increased funding.

Instead we are treated to the attitude akin to "We know best. You shut up." 

Slowly dying are the days when such paternalistic behaviour was tolerated and acceptable. The Malaysian public, in these days of increased public sector expenditure and of calls to change lifestyles and tighten belts, are becoming better informed and concerned about how public money is spent. They want to know. They want to be involved and support. This is a good thing.

Also, I don't know about you, but if somebody spent RM20 million of my money (yes, it is our money as quite a few of us pay taxes and vote in elections) on something, I would like to know what it was spent on.

I call for us to give our full support to the youth and sports minister to help him to deliver his promise. Dear Minister, don't allow yourself to be bamboozled by these civil servants who have forgotten that their job is to serve the people. We support you!

A civil servant who does not view as necessary the full disclosure of the use of public funds (read: taxpayers' money) despite what his minister has already clearly indicated does not deserve to have the trust of the Malaysian people.

If he feels that he cannot be open and accountable on these issues, then the D-G should resign forthwith.

* The views expressed here are the personal opinion of the columnist.

Kredit: http://www.themalaysianinsider.com

0 ulasan:

Catat Ulasan

 

Malaysia Insider Online

Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved