Jumaat, 20 Disember 2013

The Malaysian Insider :: Sports


Klik GAMBAR Dibawah Untuk Lebih Info
Sumber Asal Berita :-

The Malaysian Insider :: Sports


Sherwood thinks he is the man to manage Tottenham

Posted: 20 Dec 2013 07:42 AM PST

December 20, 2013

Tim Sherwood (pic) staked his claim to be Tottenham Hotspur's next manager on Friday as he prepared for his second match in temporary charge since Andre Villas-Boas was sacked this week.

The former Spurs midfielder, who has been involved with coaching the club's young players since 2008, was put in control of the first team for Wednesday's League Cup defeat by West Ham United and will take the side to Southampton on Sunday.

What chairman Daniel Levy has in mind for the north London club is unclear, however, with Sherwood saying he has yet to talk about his future.

At a news conference on Friday, however, the 44-year-old Sherwood was in confident mood.

"I know all about the football club. I've played here. It is my club," he told reporters. "I know what the supporters want and I know what they demand. I know the players. I know the good young talent that's coming through the club.

"The club and the manager have to be compatible. It's not always about the biggest name. You might do well at another club, but you might not do well at this one.

"If it were down to me I'm getting a 10-year contract now, but football doesn't work like that. It's all about getting results."

Sherwood, who captained Blackburn Rovers to the Premier League title in 1995, admitted that he would not want to work as an assistant to a new manager and that he must consider whether the role was right for him in the long-term.

"Not for me, to be honest. I wouldn't want that," he said.

"I need to talk about philosophies, what are we looking to do. Are we looking to buy players, or are we looking to bring them through? All these have to be taken into consideration when I decide whether it is right for me or not.

"It's up to the chairman and the board to make the correct decision that's right for the long-term future of the club as it's not good to keep changing managers.

"I listen to managers all the time talking about 'the project'. The project is you win games or you get sacked - end of story."

Sherwood's short-term focus is reviving the club's faltering season at the start of a hectic Christmas schedule.

Seventh-placed Spurs are only five points behind the top four, but last week's 5-0 home drubbing by Liverpool and last month's 6-0 thrashing at Manchester City have eroded confidence.

"It's going to be a tough game down there. We know what to expect from Southampton," Sherwood said. "He (Southampton coach Mauricio Pochettino) has got his team playing a high-press game with a quick tempo." - Reuters, December 20, 2013.

Djokovic call surprised me, says Becker

Posted: 20 Dec 2013 07:09 AM PST

December 20, 2013

Boris Becker (pic) said Novak Djokovic approached him to become his head coach the day the Serb lost the world No.1 ranking to Spaniard Rafa Nadal in October this year.

Djokovic's announcement this week that the German six-times grand slam champion was to become his coach was greeted with surprise and Becker said it had been unexpected.

"I was approached by Novak and his manager while he was playing in Beijing," London-based Becker told BBC Sport on Friday. "He decided he needed somebody in his corner that had been there and done it.

"I was surprised. I didn't expect the phone call. I was honoured."

Marian Vajda, who has been 26-year-old Djokovic's coach for each of his six grand slam titles, will continue as part of the team, but Becker is set to assume head coach responsibilities at the forthcoming Australian Open which starts on January 13.

It will be Becker's first foray into coaching a top-level player and he said he would put 100% into it.

"This isn't a half-hearted job. It wouldn't be right for him or for me," Becker said. "You're in it to win it. You either go at it fully or you don't. Either I commit myself or I don't commit myself."

Becker joins another former world No.1 and multiple grand slam winner Ivan Lendl in the coaching circle after the Czech-born American teamed up with Andy Murray at the start of 2012 and has since guided the British player to two major titles.

"When Ivan was appointed, I thought about what took some of these guys so long to talk about some of these all-time greats (as coaches)," said Becker.

"There was a generation that changed tennis and the way we played in the 1980s is not that different to how we're playing today." - Reuters, December 20, 2013.

Kredit: http://www.themalaysianinsider.com

0 ulasan:

Catat Ulasan

 

Malaysia Insider Online

Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved